Friday, November 16, 2012

What is being wasted


The child, no more than eight or nine years old, stood at the white board in an empty classroom waiting for Sunday School to begin. He stood filling the lower quarter of the board with black lines and curves magically flowing from the dry-erase marker in his hand. None dare interfere with his excursion of inky discovery. I watched him with quiet joy for several minutes before the room began to fill with others, and he stopped.

The scene reminded me of the conflict I once felt with a despotic and dictatorial teacher who chastised students when they leisurely wrote upon the white board in his classroom. Sarcastically, he asked guilty students, “Are you going to pay me to replace those markers you’re wasting?”

Incidentally, the school paid for the markers, and only a fool or a misguided instructor would interfere with the magic of exploration.

The  title of “teacher” must be a humbling, gentle appellation and not become a license for enslaving minds and quashing imaginations.

When will they ever learn? And I speak not of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a former newspaper editor and columnist who has spent most of his professional life in a newsroom or a classroom. I left academic preparation in the psychology of religion to devote myself to journalism. As a journalist, I have always had an interest in religion journalism--an interest that eludes many editors--and continues to do so.. Now semi-retired, my part-time jobs have included teaching at an area community college and work as a part-time information librarian in a county public library. I also do freelance editing and am a working poet (http://poetrybyara.wordpress.com). My blogs are intended to explore some of the spaces between religion, education, psychology, journalism, and leisure with lots of philosophical, theological, and popular culture musings inserted.